New Law Allows Child’s Departure to Abroad with Consent of Only One of the Parents

The Verkhovna Rada adopted, on the first reading, a Bill “On Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of Ukraine Regarding the Procedure for the Departure of a Child from Ukraine.”

233 MPs voted in favour of this draft law, Ukrinform reports.

“This bill has been developed to simplify the procedure for the departure of minors from Ukraine. As of today, neither courts nor parents can grant a permit for several abroad trips of a child. Thus the parents are forced to provide a notarised written parental authorisation for each and every child`s departure or to receive a separate court decision. There are even more difficulties with travelling abroad for children, whose parents are overseas, reside permanently in the temporarily occupied territories or refuse to provide the consent to the child’s departure with regard, for example, to even the scores with the mother of the child”, – as explained by Ivan Sporysh, Chairman of the Subcommittee on Youth Policy, Family and Childhood under Verkhovna Rada Committee on Family, Youth Policy, Sports and Tourism.

This bill suggests to grant parents with the right to give permission to the child to leave Ukraine for a period of up to three years. This right stipulates one or more trips, either without restrictions or in line with the definition of the country where an entry is permitted or prohibited. Where one of the parents does not consent, it is also proposed to allow the courts to grant permission for one or more trips outside Ukraine.

At the same time, it might be useful to provide the possibility of temporary departure of minors if a child requires medical treatment outside Ukraine, or he/she has gained the right to participate in international science Olympiads, international music, art and other creative competitions, international children’s competitions, sports events, etc., but he/she does not have the consent of one of his/her parents (other legal representatives). In such cases, it should be allowed for the child to depart from the territory of Ukraine only with the consent of the other parent (legal representatives). This consent should be approved by the guardianship authorities and should be well documented by the Ukrainian state authorities.

Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone